Humboldt County Democratic Central Committee Platform
I. Democracy and Participation We believe that…
A. Our democracy must be based on:
- Honest, transparent government with a reliable and verifiable voting process.
- Equal access to the political process for all members of the community.
B. The United States must work cooperatively with all other nations of the world, treat all people with human dignity, and use force only as an absolute last resort.
C. Each citizen has a responsibility to participate in all levels of community and government.
II. Social Justice
Everyone in our democracy is entitled to equal protection under the law regardless of race, gender, ethnic identification, age, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, and/or socioeconomic status.
A. Everyone has a right to live in a community, state and country that enables all to exercise their rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
B. Everyone has a right to access to affordable health care.
C. Every woman is entitled to the right to make her own reproductive health care decisions.
D. Every person has the right to make her or his own health care decisions.
E. Everyone has an inherent constitutional right to protection from invasion of privacy, by government or corporations.
III. Environmental Protection
We believe that it is the duty of our democracy to…
- Protect and sustainably use the natural resources of our community, state, country, and world.
- Guarantee safe and healthy food, water and air.
- Enact legislation and policies that promote sustainable forms of energy and the conservation of fossil fuels.
- Protect, preserve and restore the Nation’s ecosystems.
- Prevent resource exploitation that violates public trust.
- Reduce, reuse and recycle.
We believe that it is the duty of our democracy to ensure that…
- Jobs provide a living wage.
- Legislation and policies encourage the creation of jobs that contribute to a sustainable economy and environment.
- All local, state, and federal governments and agencies of government are fiscally responsible.
- Legislation and policies promote the availability of affordable, safe housing for all.
- The deficit of the federal government is not passed on to the next generation.
- The deficit of the federal government is decreased without shrinking programs that benefit the poor, young, old or disabled.
- Fair taxation for all where all members of society pay their fair share toward the common good.
- Workers’ pensions and social security are protected and strengthened.
- All levels of government work diligently to see that no child, senior citizen or disabled person lives in poverty.